savethesheep.com

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

umbilical cord baby hat

i finished the baby hat! i really love how it came out. as planned, i used the pakucho color-grown, organic, free-trade cotton to knit the umbilical cord hat from stitch 'n bitch. i knitted it on size 10 needles using 2 strands of yarn.

i even made a little tag for it with the content and washing info from the label and wrote "made with love for my little niece-to-be by jen." i'm going to give it my sister un-law* when we go to york this weekend.

this pattern was so easy, quick, and inexpensive to knit. which is good because everyone i know seems to be having babies and this would make a great baby shower present. i have a feeling i'll be making a lot more of these. for the next one, i want to try dyeing the yarn myself with some kind of all natural dye, like maybe blueberries? i have to do some research into dyeing, right now i have no idea what is involved. but i like the idea of using berries -- if it tastes yummy, it could double as a teething toy!

* this is not a typo... i made up this word to refer to travis' family. you know, the people who would be my "in-laws" if we were lawfully married? since we are unlawfully married, i decided to call them my "un-laws." it's cute, no?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The hat is so cute...and looks so professionally done!

I'll have to remember that pattern if any of my un-laws has another kid. (I think they are all on a break right now).

Wed Sep 21, 08:04:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger jen said...

thanks emily, so glad you stopped by! i wish you had a place to post some photos of your vegan knitting, because i'd love to see it. have you ever used flickr? it's an easy way to upload your photos to the 'net.

i have to admit i agree that the hat looks like it was commercially made. last night i told travis that it was a good thing i wrote on the tag that it was made by me, or else my sister un-law would probably think i had bought it!

i'm so not modest, isn't it awful? hooray for stitch 'n bitch -- their easy pattern makes even a sucky knitter like me look good!

Wed Sep 21, 08:23:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Andrea Rusin said...

Onion skins make a pretty yellow or pink-ish dye (depending on what kind of onion you use!), but I can't imagine that they TASTE very good ;) I tried spinach once, since it dyes the water it's steamed in so much, but nothing happened, so don't bother trying that.

Great hat!

Wed Sep 21, 08:53:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger vania said...

what a wonderful hat. you inspired me to pick a hat as a gift for my friend's baby. they're off to Sri Lanka soon and have a baby dedication before their trip. this would make a nice gift, n'est pas?
thanks for adding me as a link!

Wed Sep 21, 10:08:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Michelle said...

This is hat is so very (I wanted to say something else after that, but then I remembered how in the movie Heathers things are "very." Or is it a different 80's movie???) Anyway, I like it a lot. I recently made a hat for my cousin's baby (the child's cotton hat from the last minuted knitted gifts book), but this one looks fun and a nice incentive to get me some pakucho. 2 skeins, right?

Wed Sep 21, 04:27:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Siel said...

It's super cute! Almost makes me wanna have a baby. Actually, a cute doll would do --

Wed Sep 21, 09:01:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger jen said...

thanks everyone, and thanks andrea for the tip about onion skins. i just ordered a couple of books on natural dyeing, i'll let you know what i find out. i read that lichens are good for dyeing and i'm interested in finding out more about that - making dye out of lichens sounds cool!

and yes, the hat used less than 2 skeins. so even though the pakucho isn't super cheap (i think i paid around $7 per skein) it's still a pretty inexpensive project.

Wed Sep 21, 11:06:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen, that baby had is adorable. I love it!

Fri Sep 30, 05:36:00 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Putting Baby to Sleep said...

Such a cute hat, and such a great name for a baby hat!

Sun Apr 18, 05:51:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home