savethesheep.com

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

the dangers of knitting in public

knitting in public has not been going very well for me lately. i had a good time chatting at my vegan knitting group on sunday, but didn't make any headway on my knitting -- i ended up having to rip out about 5 inches from my dad's scarf because somehow i hadn't followed the pattern while we were chatting, even though i was using a row counter. i guess i'm not good at multi-tasking. it happens when i try to knit on the metro, too; i find myself making tons of mistakes, and i barely end up with any net gain for my effort by the end of the trip.

speaking of knitting on the metro, yesterday i nearly had a knitting crisis on the metro! i was knitting on a very crowded metro car and my ball of yarn rolled off my lap and out of sight through the forest of legs. i had no idea how i was going to get it back! luckily, it hadn't rolled that far and i was able to crouch down and reach around a couple pairs of legs to grab it. phew. a few fellow passengers were wondering what the heck i was doing on the floor, brushing against their legs, but i've seen stranger sights on the metro before.

i really wanted to finish both my dad's scarf and this weird tank top thing i'm making by this weekend (pictures of weird tank top thing coming soon). we are going to visit my dad in connecticut, and i wanted to give him the scarf so he can get as much use out of it as possible this fall. also, i wanted to wear the weird tank top thing to a brunch we are going to while we are there. if i were better able to concentrate while knitting in public i would have been able to get it done. but at this point, i don't think it's going to happen.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog Jen!

I also understand the peril of knitting on the metro. Last winter, I was knitting a big scarf on long needles and had to practically flap my arms to knit. As you can imagine, I got some dirty looks from people sitting next to me. I guess I was invading their airspace.

Please list more about vegan yarns. I learned about peta's ban but am having a hard time finding nice synthetic and warm options.

Thanks!
Megumi

Thu Sep 15, 02:07:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger jen said...

thanks megumi, it's cool to hear from you. i'm afraid i'm not an expert on vegan yarns (yet) but i'll share as much as i can.

Thu Sep 15, 08:54:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Ellen's Knitting Yarn Blog said...

I can just picture the scene of everyone sitting stiffly on the metro after work when all the sudden a devoted knitter reaches in between their legs for her ball of yarn. Although it must have been embarrassing at the time I'm glad that you shared it- we all have our embarrassing moments.

Sun Apr 18, 05:56:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home