savethesheep.com

Thursday, January 12, 2006

travis (who has never knit a thing in his life) corrected my knitting mistake

so, armed with emily's advice, i sat down to seam up the leg warmers. i had the book in front of me, good light, straight pins, yarn, scissors, a yarn needle -- all the supplies i needed. reading the directions from my book, i pin the two squares together, tack the yarn, and start seaming. i go slow, as emily suggested. i get about 4 inches done. it looks great! i'm so proud! i call travis over to show him my beautiful seaming. he looks at it like i'm sewing a sock onto a pair of underwear. "what's wrong? doesn't my seam look good?" he points out my mistake.

did you spot it? read the above paragraph again. i pinned the TWO SQUARES TOGETHER. i was doing a beautiful job of seaming the two legwarmers together! arg! i'm such an idiot. "aren't you supposed to sew each leg warmer to itself, not to the other one?" travis asks. why yes. so perceptive of you to notice. "or are you trying to sew one giant legwarmer that will go around both legs," he continues, chuckling and making exagerrated gestures indicating what it would be like to wear one giant tube around both legs. ha ha. i wasn't amused. "don't make fun of me! i just spent an hour an a half on that," i whined. at least he pointed out my mistake before i had finished seaming the whole thing together.

3 Comments:

Blogger bitterknitter said...

Well, so you got 4 inches of practice! I'm glad that it looked good.

To make you feel better: I started sewing a seam on my first sweater wrong, so that the wrong side of one piece was facing the public (the other piece was fine), I too got about 4 inches into it before I realized the problem.

Thu Jan 12, 01:52:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh gosh, I'm always the one who laughs at something that's not supposed to be funny. I feel for you, I do, I mean, what a pain in the ass to redo it? But honestly, you'll always remember that story when you go to seam. I'm a terrible seamer and avoid it -- I have a shrug and sweater parts sitting around waiting until I think I'm good at seaming. It's been months and months. If I see a 12" circ. around (I rarely do, I bought mine in Maine, but if I do), I'm totally sending it to you! I hope to see the TWO legwarmers soon!!!

Thu Jan 12, 04:09:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was so not cool of me to laugh. oh sure, it was funny, but the fury in those eyes could have burned a hole straight through me. yikes! i see quite clearly why the messenger always gets killed.

Thu Jan 12, 04:41:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home