savethesheep.com

Sunday, January 22, 2006

sometimes it's fun to let someone else do the sewing

this isn't about knitting or crafts, but i thought you crafty gals would appreciate it, so i'm posting anyway.

i'm super excited about the new custom handmade laptop bag i ordered from m. avery designs. you can select whatever fabric you like for your bag, and also the dimensions of the bag. it comes with an inside pocket that is custom-sized for your particular laptop, in my case my new 12" ibook. so it is more protective than a normal bag that lets your computer slide around inside.

it will be a couple of weeks before i receive my new bag, but this is my sketch of what it will look like. the flap will be in this really cool vintage-looking surfer boy print, and the rest of the bag will be in a matching red fabric. i think it will be the coolest laptop bag ever. she's going to send me the scrap surfer boy fabric so i can make myself a matching coin purse or cell phone cover or something.

they also sell many other kinds of bags that you can custom design with your choice of fabric. definitely check out the site, it's awesome. it's great for vegans who want an alternative to leather bags. and it's all handmade in new jersey -- no sweatshops. if you live near hoboken, they even have handbag workshops where you can learn to design and sew handbags yourself.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Ooh, that's really nice (and the part where she's going to send you the remaining fabric so you can make something too -- really really sweet!) And though I live near Hoboken, I've never been. That just might be a reason to venture over there.

Sun Jan 22, 03:19:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger jen said...

i forgot to pat myself on the back for resisting buying a pink bag! aren't you all proud of me?

i'm trying not to go into pink overload even though i love it so much.

but after seeing vania's aqua and red swap stuff, i became a huge fan of that color combination.

Mon Jan 23, 05:08:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Michelle said...

Me too! I had been trying to give away some turquoise and red railroad yarn, but then thinking about those colors made me rethink this. Oh, and by the way -- tag, you're it (for the four meme. Mine is kind of long -- see Robyn's for a more representative example!

Wed Feb 01, 11:57:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home