savethesheep.com

Thursday, December 01, 2005

knitting is only for old ladies

i had a funny exchange last night while knitting in public. i waiting for my cpr class to begin and was having a conversation with a gentleman in his fifties about how neither of us act our age. (i'm 34, by the way.) he said "but you are acting older than your age by knitting!" i told him that actually, knitting is very hip with the younger generation these days. he cracked up as if i had told him that top hats were back in style. he kept laughing and laughing and saying things like: "oh yeah right, i'm sure a lot of young folks are knitting these days" and "who are you trying to convince?" i just smiled and warned him, "you are showing your age, if you don't know that knitting is hip now. not that i particularly care whether it is hip or not."

he kept it up, laughing and making fun of me, for literally about 2 minutes, which is a long time to sit there laughing at someone! he thought it was the funniest thing he had ever heard, that i would try to claim that knitting was hip. i just sat there smirking and let him have his fun.

if i ever start arguing with someone 20 years younger than me over what is hip, that's when i know i'm over the hill and it's time to retire to the porch rocking chair to shake my cane at all the young whippersnappers.

p.s. i'm about a quarter done with the cookies 'n creme poncho. i got a lot done during cpr class, but don't worry, it was just an annual re-certification. this is the fourth year in a row i've taken the class and i know the material inside and out even without devoting 100% of my attention to the class.

2 Comments:

Blogger bitterknitter said...

Hmmm, I learned to crochet when I was 8 or 9 and knit when I was 17. I'm not sure that anything I knit is "hip", but it definately is popular!

Yay for being able to knit during classes!

Thu Dec 01, 08:27:00 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to be old enough to get into silly arguments with young whippersnappers. :)

My real vision is to act all crotchety and yell "you kids get out of my apple trees!" Ideally this will happen while I'm shaking a walking stick or cane and standing on my porch.

If I don't have any apple trees, I'll try the "that's not hip!" argument.

Mon Dec 05, 01:47:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home