savethesheep.com

Thursday, November 03, 2005

knitting wishes

have you ever wished you could knit while doing something else?

these are my big ones:

* knit and exercise
* knit and drive
* knit while i'm at work/ knit during meetings
* knit while watching a movie with subtitles
* knit and walk the dog

last night i found out that several women in my yoga class knit. a couple of them were knitting while waiting for class to start - great idea! i think knitting is very yogic and it is quite appropriate to make knitting a part of one's yoga practice. my yoga studio even offers workshops on the yoga of knitting. i'd like to take one at some point, but it costs $45 and right now i'd rather spend the money on yarn!

i also found out my yoga teacher kate is a doula, which i did not know before last night. if any dc area folks out there are having a baby, you should seriously consider asking her to be your doula. she's such an awesome person. of course, i highly recommend taking yoga with her too!

oh, and some of my new yarn came already! i can't wait to use it.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder what the connection is between yoga and doula.

My prenatal yoga teacher explained a few weeks ago that she has been trying to stop being a doula, but she keeps saying yes to people who ask, because she really likes helping women.

I haven't asked. Yet. But I'm thinking about it.

Thu Nov 03, 03:51:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Michelle said...

I do love yoga, too, though I'm not sure what the connection is between yoga and knitting. It's too bad that Atouria(yarn yoga) hasn't posted in awhile cause I was always thinking that she'd help me to figure this one out. She's been dealing with a lot, though. I actually think i can do easy-type knitting while watching a movie with subtitles, but Aaron is always quick to point out when I miss something that way. The ligther-going the movie, the easier for me to knit. I wish I could knit and read at the same time.

Fri Nov 04, 05:58:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger jen said...

ask your teacher, liza. i bet there is a connection, though i don't know enough about being a doula to guess at it. i'm interested to hear what she says.

when i get a chance, i'll try to verbalize why i think yoga and knitting are related for you, michelle. maybe i'll do a post on it.

Fri Nov 04, 02:51:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hmm, looking at my comment, I think I sounded like I don't understand the connection at all, though i do. I think i mean that I can't articulate the connection too well. That for me, it's an intuitive rather than a rational connection, per se. Like, both are highly meditative, both involve repetitive actions that become rhythmic and meaningful through repetition. That both feel really good. That both are gifts you give yourself so that you share and give to other people...etc...

Fri Nov 04, 04:54:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger bitterknitter said...

I so wish I could knit at work! I may look into yoga next week, I think it is something I might enjoy. Back to the books now :)

Sat Nov 05, 09:16:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger vania said...

i love to knit during meetings, though not all my co-workers do. but if i can watch tv, listen to music, and even watch movies with subtitles while knitting, why not multitask at work?

Wed Nov 09, 11:19:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home