savethesheep.com

Sunday, November 27, 2005

draft stoppers

my second sewing project is done! we needed three draft stoppers for the crawlspace doors in our bedroom, which also happens to be the attic. very drafty! so i made these.

they were very inexpensive to make: i used an old bedspread i bought at a thrift store for $5 and i bought a big bag of sand for less than $5 at strosnider's hardware store. after i machine-sewed the bedspread into tubes, i filled some empty newspaper bags about halfway full with sand, squeezed all the air out of the bag and tied it at the top. by doing this, the sand molds nicely to the inside of the sewn tube. i filled each draft stopper with several of these sand bags and used fabric scraps to nicely fill out each end before hand-sewing it shut. one thing i really like about these is that nothing was wasted in making them -- the scraps left over from cutting out the fabric went into filling out the ends of the draft stoppers.

strosnider's was selling pre-made draft stoppers for $13 each and they weren't as good as these -- they were only filled with pillow stuffing. for less than $10 i made three much better ones, and i still have a lot of the blue bedspread left for other projects and sand for our front steps when it gets icy. and they didn't take very long to make, just a couple of hours. yay me!

4 Comments:

Blogger handknit168 said...

my first time to read yr blog. I like your sewing for I don't quite familiar with sewing.

My Blog
My on-line shop

Sun Nov 27, 10:21:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger bitterknitter said...

Nice draft stoppers, it almost makes me wish we had some drafts to stop. I need to stop knitting for a weekend, so I can get some sewing done!

Tue Nov 29, 12:57:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a super motivated crafty person! I go through periods where I can't stop knitting and then I go through other times when I can't stand knitting. I'm so impressed that you can keep up the crafty mojo! I love reading your blog for inspiration :)

Take care,
Megumi

Wed Nov 30, 12:25:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger jen said...

hi megumi! how was your trip to japan? i asked brian and he said "good." so descriptive!

i go through on and off periods too. i'm just in an "on" period now. i didn't do anything crafty all summer because i was too busy skateboarding. but when it gets dark and cold, it makes me want to knit and be crafty.

Wed Nov 30, 12:40:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home